Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to it, and rankings

I'm back, both to the grind of the everyday of work, as well as trying to keep up with the blogging side of life. I am not sure if I find this cathartic or what, but after doing it for some time, I figured I would just keep going. Let's see, since the last post... I wrapped up my Euro stint, well part one at least. I got back to the States, got engaged, and am starting base training for racing season 2009. It looks like I will be heading back to Europe so I am not sure if the base training will be a complete waste of time, but at least it will help me sleep at night.
I upgraded from cat 5 to cat 4 on the road side of racing things. They also changed to categories on the mountain bike front, and I am a cat 2, go figure. It really sounds a lot better than it actually is, I remain a guy who is a bit too girthy or distracted during a race to be a real threat. It is my goal to remedy that side of things. Anyway, I got my rankings for both road and mountain at the beginning of the season, I am hoping to improve the overall but will put everything down to keep track as the season progresses.

USCF Criterium Cat 4 Standing:
Rank in zip code - 1
Rank in state - 12
Rank in riding age (37) - 15
Rank in 5 year age ranger (35-39) - 73
Rank in 10 year age range - (30-39) - 119
Overall rank - 348

NORBA cross country standings
Rank in zip code - 1
Rank in state - 3
Rank in riding age (37) - 6
Rank in 5 year age range (35-39) - 29
Rank in 10 year age range - (30-39) - 41
Overall rank - 161

Now I just have to put the work in and get moving up.
I started doing my base training which included an epic ride in 50mph wind gusts and brutal snow squalls that took place on New Years Eve. Sunday was a two hour effort in 24 degree weather, which was not actually the stupid part. The part that got to me was that it took place at eight in the morning. Being that I have no kids or real responsibilities, I don't see why weekend rides should start prior to ten. Yesterday I pulled myself out of bed to do a 6am class at Cadence, which is just ridiculously early. It is funny that it does not require my getting out of bed any earlier than I would if I was heading to work, but just the riding that early gets to me. I also doubled up by doing the evening movie and a spin down there. Unfortunately I was not really ready for the second part, went out too quick and blew myself up. Oh well, it is all good.

Okay, that is enough of a start for now. I hope all is well with everyone. Spoke with the Ogre yesterday, so I know what he's doing.

Respect each other

No comments: