Monday, November 3, 2008

Rental car racing stripes

So last Friday, Halloween, I moved into a new apartment. The apartment is a lot more comfortable than the last, which I thought at the time was fine. After four weeks I guess you get used to your situation. Then when you move up in the world, it is that much better.
I also got a parking spot with this place. I am driving a Ford Mondeo wagon. It was delivered with zero kilometers on it. When I saw where I was to park, I did not see much of an issue, but I was more concerned about getting into the apartment. Saturday morning I went to move the car off the street and into the spot.
Here is the layout, a garage door that is streetside, leading down a narrow corridor into a small courtyard with about 15 garages there. Think of a capital "P" type deal. So I go and open the door and start to swing the car into the opening. It was then I noticed that it was a tight fit. A very tight fit. The Mondeo has parking sensors on the front and back. They start with a slow beep.....beep.....beep that increase infrequency when you approach something until it is a steady beeeeeeeep, meaning you are pretty much out of room. So I give it the first try, dopplers go off in the front. I back up to get a better angle, and this being a European street, the back goes off that I am going to hit someone's car. Forward and the nose of the car is in, not directly straight though. I slowly ease in and the front alarm goes off, too close to the wall in the corridor. I turn the wheel, ease away from the wall and ssscrrraaappppeeee!! Rear passenger door against the garage door railing.. SHIT.. I back away from it and thankfully do not hit the front of the car as it is now as steady buzz.. I eventually get it straightened out and head down the thirty some foot corridor.. I get to the end and realize, man this courtyard is a bit on the tight side of things. I swing around in an attempt to back into my allotted spot, which was in the middle of the fat part of the "P". I eventually get it backed in after multiple attempts and a whole crapload of beeping annnndd, there is no way I can open the door far enough to get out of the car. Well, this certainly is not going to work. Screw it, I am out of here. I then have to navigate back out the corridor, the opening of which is against the wall. I think I did about a three dozen point turn and still could not get to a straight shot. I thought I had it knocked, as I slowly started to creep into the corridor, the fast beep of the front sensor turned solid so I turned the wheel to get straight. Another couple feet and sscrraaaappppeeeee!!! Down the drivers side rear door. Looking in the rear view mirror, the door handle was also caved in a bit. Great. A few more back and forths and I eventually got it freed.
I had a sickening feeling in my stomach. I finally realized that company policy for renting cars overseas was to get as much insurance as possible. I am just hoping that the policy was followed because I did not see any paperwork, I just autographed a piece of paper for delivery of a brand new car. Oh boy!!!
I am thankful that my Cross bike showed up. The last two days I rode into work. There is something to be said for bike commuting, over cobbled roads, along a port, in Belgium. There certainly are worse ways to start the day..

No comments: