Monday, January 19, 2009

Mountain bikes and compression

The intent was to get out in the woods on Saturday for a 2-3 hour frollick. Unfortunately the weather had different plans. I woke up and it was seven degrees outside. I had a few hours to burn before I was to get to the shop and pick up the Mamasita. By the time I got there it had warmed up to a whopping 11 degrees, terrific. I then went and got some groceries to fire up a little crockpot action. when I was walking out of the store I thought that it was not too bad, the sun was out, the air was crisp and maybe I would be able to pull the ride off after all. By the time I finished loading the last of five bags into my car, I could barely feel my hands and my legs were absolutely freezing. Well, that was about it, another day on the trainer for me it seemed. So that is what I did, an hour and a half while watching a DVR'd movie, Hitman. Pretty okay movie, though at some point towards the end I stopped paying attention and was confused by the finish.
Sunday held new hope and promise at getting into the woods. I got dressed, put medium balm on my legs, and headed out. The first thing that I noticed was after about twenty millimeters of travel, my fork ended in an abrupt THUNK! Well, that just is not right. I rolled down to Cadence to meet my two riding companions. When I got there, I went to get a drink from my Camelback and, nothing. Yeah, Cameback was sitting in the back of my car, shit! So, I got into the shop, put air in my fork, buy a water bottle and head out for my ride. It was good, even with my fork blowing through travel and bottoming out in a noisey mess, the ride was a blast. We kept the pace nice and steady, the trails were fast and hooking up great. Thankfully no mechanicals because I was ill prepared to say the least. We ended up in the woods for two and a half hours, and the rides two and from the trailhead made the day total out at three hours. That was the longest I have been on a bike since the disaster at the Brentjens challenge. After that it got busy, straight to the shower, where the balm got really toasty. Then I dropped the bike off to get a complete fork overhaul, Starbucks to get coffee for the week, grocery store to pick up some odds and ends then home to get cooking. I fired up a pot of chili and put it in the fridge to go in the crockpot for today, lunch ready, made some puddin'. Then it was to Adobe' to watch the Eagles game. I really hate them, so I was happy I did not have to hear about the Super Bowl for the span of two weeks.
Oh, I also got a pair of compression tights to sleep in. They are supposed to help recovery efforts and stimulate blood flow and this and that. I have been reading about them for years and decided to give them a go. I wore them for a few hours last night, but could not sleep with them on, very restrictive, and pinchy around the waist. I will try to see what the deal is with them as my study progresses.
Well, that is a weekend wrap, have a good one.

Respect each other

No comments: